Our Lighter Lifestyle program is designed to meet the special needs of individuals who are overweight and at risk for diabetes.
Who can benefit from our Lighter Lifestyle program?
The program can help individuals who are already diagnosed with Type 1, Type 2, or Gestational (a temporary type of diabetes during pregnancy) diabetes, as well as people in a high-risk category for developing diabetes.
Those at risk include people who:
About Our Weight Loss Programs
- Are obese (20% above desirable body weight)
- Have an immediate relative with diabetes
- Are African-American, Hispanic, Native American, Asian
- Have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes
- Have high blood pressure (140/90 or higher)
- Have an HDL cholesterol level of 35 mg/dl or lower and/or triglyceride level of 250 mg/dl or higher
- Have been told they have an impaired glucose tolerance
This program is an educational series focusing on understanding food, food labeling, portion control and calories. We also provide an ongoing support group consisting of eight classes held Thursday evenings from 5:30 - 6:30 p.m. at the RWJ Rahway Fitness & Wellness Center, 2120 Lamberts Mill Road, Scotch Plains. To register or for more information, call (732) 499-6109.
Individual Weight Loss Program
Our team includes a registered dietitian, exercise physiologist and nurse.
Clients receive initial one-hour session with a registered dietician with follow-up half hour sessions.
Work with experts on:
Calorie controlled meal plan
Appropriate distribution of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats
Improving nutrient density
Food shopping, health cooking and meal preparation
Guidelines for eating out
- Individualized fitness assessment with an exercise physiologist
- Individualized exercise program consisting of cardiovascular, strength training and flexibility
- Special program guidelines
- Monthly re-assessment