Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Rahway is a primary stroke center, able to treat stroke quickly and efficiently.
Because stroke knows no race, age or gender … know the signs
- Sudden weakness or numbness
- Sudden confusion
- Sudden trouble seeing
- Sudden trouble walking
- Sudden severe headache
- Sudden difficulty speaking, swallowing
Stroke is a medical emergency. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, call 9-1-1 immediately. Every second counts when someone is having a stroke. The longer blood flow to the brain is cut off, the greater the damage. Immediate treatment can save your life and improve your chances for recovery.
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Rahway offers neurology 24/7 for stroke diagnosis and treatment. We can provide teleneurological services in the Emergency Department as well as throughout the hospital. RWJ Rahway offer a full complement of rehabilitation services, stroke aftercare and stroke support.
There are three types of stroke:
- Ischemic Stroke: Caused by a blocked artery leading to the brain. The plaque that blocks these arteries can break open or rupture, causing a blood clot to form inside the artery and stopping blood flow to the brain.
- Hemorrhagic Stroke: Caused by an artery rupture in or near the brain.
- Mini Stroke: Also called a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA). This causes stroke-like symptoms when clots form and then break apart in arteries going to the brain. A Mini Stroke is usually a warning sign that a major stroke is about to occur.
As a stroke center, RWJ Rahway offers:
- An acute stroke team that responds to a patient's bedside within 15 minutes of arrival or identification of a stroke incident
- Neurology and Emergency Department personnel trained in the latest treatments of stroke
- Telemetry or critical care beds staffed by physicians and nurses trained in caring for acute stroke patients
- 24/7 lab services within 45 minutes of order and 24/7 neuro-imaging services able to perform studies within 20 minutes of order.
- Rehabilitation services
- Transfer agreements with a comprehensive stroke center for treatment of complex stroke.
After you've had a stroke, you may need help at home for a short time or permanently. We can provide a wide range of services, helping you become as independent as possible, including:
- Skilled nursing care through our Care Connection subacute facility
- Physical therapy
- Speech therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Support group
The hospital also offers outpatient rehabilitation services with extensive stroke experience.
Rehabilitation Services can be reached by calling (732) 499-6012 for more information.
RWJ Rahway's Stroke Center earned the Get with the Guidlines Stroke Gold Plus Award from the American Heart Association in 2014.